Tuesday, May 22, 2007

As Stiff As It Gets

The May 20th autocross was the first one with the new suspension setup and alignment. I had my car cornerbalanced and aligned at Bishop Motorsports with a perfect cross-weight of 50/50 and -2.5 camber front, -1.5 camber rear. After keeping tire pressures at a constant 40 psi, the first three runs were done under 5 clicks from full stiff both front and rear. The car handled like a dream, the back and forth transitions were on key and the high speed damping proved its merit as turn-in from sweepers proved to be on point. I did not feel any body-roll so the rear swaybar definately helped in conjunction with the dampers. I definately was overdriving the car a bit because I would lose valuable time sliding around on my tires but after realizing this I must make an attempt to be more smooth so that I can harness the tire's maximum traction to become faster. On one of my runs my bypass/diverter valve (aka blow off valve) blew off on one of my cleaniest runs of the day, it was definately dissapointing but this stuff happens. Not only that but I found out that I was boosting only 19 psi and decreased power (was tuned at 21psi) on my way back home. I knew the car felt a bit sluggish coming off the line, but I was more focused trying not to hit cones than on my manual boost gauge. I ordered a Tactrix OBDII cable which would allow me to log the ECU and other parameters with my laptop. With this data I will be able to set the manual boost controller to the correct setting and output the correct boost for my application. Later on as the day progressed tire pressures were bumped up to 42 psi and I was tempted to stiffen up the dampers a bit more 'just for kicks' so I added 2 clicks in the front and 1 click in the rear from full stiff, this proved to be a pretty decent setup if I was running R-compounds but was a bit too stiff for the street tire. I think that 4 clicks in the front and 3 clicks in the rear would be the perfect for street tire and will try this setting next time. This has been my second autocross of the year and I feel that with a couple more I will become more confident on driving within the limits of the tires with the Ohlin DFVs. I'm picking up some 17x9 wheels with R-compounds that I found which were a good deal off the Evo forums so stay tuned as I will be getting my fenders rolled and running Kuhmo 700 Victoracers! I look forward to the next one. See you all out there!

1 comment:

PSG GT3 said...

Where's the jack stand?